- 1 lb (454 g) flank steak
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1” (2.5 cm) piece ginger, peeled and sliced into thin coins
- 3 green onions (2 oz [57 g]), white and light green parts, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup (59 mL) coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dark sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil
- Combine all the ingredients except for the coconut oil in a plastic zip-top bag or a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Longer is definitely better, up to 24 hours.
- Remove the meat and pat it dry. Discard the marinade.
- Heat a skillet to medium-high heat and add the coconut oil. When it shimmers, add the steak, and sear for 3 minutes until a golden brown crust has formed. Flip the steak and sear the other side for 3 minutes.
- Then turn the heat down to medium-low and cook until it’s to your preference, about 4 more minutes for medium.
- Let rest on a cutting board for at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- Cut into thin strips, against the grain (muscle fibers). It’ll be really tender that way.
TIP: Instead of pan-searing the steak, grill it.