- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 cups swiss chard, chopped
- 2 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb mild sausage
- Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan and add the onions and garlic. Cook for several minutes or until soft. Add the swiss chard (or other greens of your choice) and cook for about 5 minutes until the leaves are wilted and the stems have softened. Add the nutmeg and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a large bowl. Add the ricotta, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses. Stir in the sauteed greens.
- If making the large pie, you will have to roll out your sausage or press it into the pie tin uniformly. Then pour in the filling, place on a cookie sheet (to catch any dripping oil from the sausage) and bake at 350 degrees (F) for about 30 – 35 minutes or until firm.
- If making the muffins, use your fingers to press the sausage into place, lining the cups about ¼ inch thick. Then spoon in your filling – don’t overfill because they will puff up slightly when baking. Make sure you bake these on a cookie sheet, as the grease from the cooking sausage will overflow the cups and you will have a mess on your hands if you don’t put something underneath it to catch it! Also, by all means add more cheese on top if you so desire.